Compare type reports allow you to compare up to 8 different Date Ranges of your choice at once.
Use this report type to generate Variances by amount and by %.
A great example is a P&L report that Compares This Year to Last Year.
Or Compare Customer Sales this year to last (scroll down to see Customer Sales comparison report).
Use an Existing Compare Favourite
We have set up some Favourite reports as Compare type reports already to get you started.
Compare type reports have an icon showing one page on top of another when you view a list of Favourite Reports.
1. Open the Favourite report P&L Comparison - to Last Year
Note that Transaction dates show This Year v Last Year. This will compare this year with the full prior year result.
2. The date range can be changed to say Year to Last Month v Last Year to Last Month so you are comparing the same time frames.
Click on the Compare icon.
3. Choose the Date Range for Comparison
4. To Compare more dates Click on the Add Another Range and enter the dates, e.g. Last Month v Last Month (Last Yr).
You can compare up to 4 pairs of dates together.
5. To Compare date ranges and show Variance amount and/or Variance %.
Click on the Var. field (Top Right). Options to show Variances:
- All - Show Variance amount and Variance %)
- % Var - Show Variance % only
- Var - Show Variance amount only
- None - Show no variance, if comparing different period lengths (MTD v YTD)
6. To see a number of periods as columns e.g. Quarters or Years together it is sometimes better to use a Pivot Report. Click Here to see how to create a Pivot report.
See below a Quarterly P&L using a Pivot report.
Using the Compare Customer Sales Favourite
Then Drill through or change the Analyse by Dimension to Sales by month to compare monthly sales, this year to last year.